Post autor: Samurray »

I can cry like Roger, just a shame I can't play like him. AM
Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Re: Andy Murray

Post autor: Ranger »

Wywiad po I rundzie USO.
Spoiler:
W(20): 23': Halle 22': Doha, Bastad, Gijon 21': Cagliari, Lyon, Waszyngton 20': Montpellier 18': Doha, Pekin 17': Szanghaj, Bazylea 16': Queen's Club, Atlanta 14': Pekin 13': Montpellier, Atlanta 12': Kuala Lumpur, Szanghaj, Bazylea
F(29): 23': Pune, Australian Open, 22': Neapol 21': Marsylia, Stuttgart, Eastbourne, Gstaad, Winston-Salem, Metz 20': Adelajda, Australian Open 19': Montpellier 18': Dubaj, Umag 17': Sofia, Barcelona, s-Hertogenbosch', Wimbledon 16': Genewa, s-Hertogenbosch' 13': Barcelona, Madryt, Bercy 12': Dubaj, Estoril, Madryt, Rzym, Nicea 11': Los Angeles

W(14): 22': AO, MC, Madryt, Wimbledon, Cincy, Bercy 21': Toronto, Cincy 19': Montreal 18': MTT Finals 17': USO 15': AO, RG 13': Wimbledon
F(8): 23': Rzym 22': USO, MTT Finals 19: Rzym, Wimbledon, Davis Cup 18': USO 16':
Wimbledon 15':USO
Awatar użytkownika
grzes430

Post autor: grzes430 »

Andy Murray, po awansie do 3 rundy US Open 2011, jest pewny występu w londyńskich finałach ATP.
BARCLAYS ATP WORLD TOUR FINALS 2011
MURRAY BECOMES THIRD PLAYER TO QUALIFY FOR 2011 BARCLAYS ATP WORLD TOUR FINALS

Obrazek
Andy Murray has qualified for
the season finale for the fourth
year in a row.

For the fourth straight year Andy Murray has qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. After his five-set, second-round win over Robin Haase on Friday at the US Open, the British No.1 became the third player to qualify for the season finale, to be held November 20-27 at The O2 in London, featuring the world’s Top 8 players. Murray joins Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal as the other qualifiers.

“Each year, one of my goals is to qualify for the season finale in London, so it’s great to have made it again,” said Murray, who reached the semi-finals last year, falling to No. 1 Nadal in a third-set tie-break. “I’ve had some really good matches at The O2 in the past, especially my semi-final against Nadal last year. Hopefully I can do even better this time around. The support I get from the home crowd has always been incredible and I’m really looking forward to playing there again.”

Murray captured his 17th career title last month at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati, his seventh ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown. He defeated World No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the final. He opened the season with his third career Grand Slam runner-up finish at the Australian Open and in June, he won his second career AEGON Championships title at Queen’s Club in London (d. Tsonga). Murray also advanced to the semi-finals at Roland Garros for the first time and at Wimbledon for the third straight year.

The 24-year-old Murray has a 7-4 career mark in the season-ending championships. Along with his semi-final showing last year, he reached the semis in his debut in 2008.

The top three teams in the 2011 ATP Doubles Team Rankings have also qualified for the year-end finale: Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, Michael Llodra - Nenad Zimonjic and Max Mirnyi - Daniel Nestor. All six players are past champions in the season-ending tournament.

The Bryans have finished as the No. 1 team in six of the past eight years. This season they have won six titles, including the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Llodra-Zimonjic are a first-time team this year and they have won two ATP World Tour titles (Washington, Montreal). They also reached the semi-finals at Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Mirnyi-Nestor teamed briefly 11 years ago and this season they have reunited to capture titles in Memphis and Roland Garros.

The Barclays ATP World Tour Finals is the world's biggest indoor tennis event, where each of the top eight singles players and top eight doubles teams are drawn to play a minimum of three round-robin matches to determine which four players and teams advance to the knockout semi-finals.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... alify.aspx
MTT:
Tytuły (8): US OPEN 2012 -debel, Sztokholm 2012, Australian Open 2013 - debel, Abu Dhabi 2014, Barcelona 2014, Australian Open 2016 - debel, Marsylia 2018, ATP Finals 2018 - debel

Finały (8): US OPEN 2013, Monte Carlo 2014, Umag 2014, Rotterdam 2015, Sydney 2016, US OPEN 2016 - debel, Winston-Salem 2018, US OPEN 2018 - debel
Awatar użytkownika
Samurray

Post autor: Samurray »

Andy Murray Rallies To Win Five-Set Thriller

Obrazek

(September 2, 2011) Andy Murray rallied from a two-set deficit to defeat 41st-ranked Robin Haase of the Netherlands
6-7 (5), 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, 6-4 at the US Open Friday.

Murray said his slow start had a lot to do with his movement, which he described as “really bad.”

I was moving really badly the first couple of sets. That meant I was making a lot of mistakes I don't normally make,” Murray said. “My legs were not getting me round the court like they normally do and I was out of position for a lot of balls.”

That was reflected in that he hit 34 errors to 26 winners and he was also broken four times in the first two sets. Murray said he had to force himself to move better to stay in the match.

Once I really just forced myself to get to as many balls as possible, kind of hustled a few points and got the break in the third set. I kind of started playing better, was moving better. That's really a big part of my game, so I think it was down to that,” he said.

His improved movement made a huge difference in his effectiveness. He hit only 14 unforced errors in the last three sets, while the volatile Haas hit 41.

Despite the disparity, Haas made the last set interesting.

Murray raced to a 4-0 lead, but the Dutchman brought it back to 4-4. Murray broke Haas’ serve to go up 5-4, and he served out the match after a close game.

"It's just one of those matches where anything could have happened at the end," he said. "I just stayed a little bit tougher than him and got the win."

The Scot moves on to face Feliciano Lopez, who beat Canada’s Vasek Posposil 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5).

Murray will like that match-up, as he’s beaten Lopez in all five of their previous encounters.

I like playing against him. I always enjoy playing lefties. Have a good record against him in the past, and hopefully that will help me out,” Murray said."
http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Andy-Murr ... iller.aspx
I can cry like Roger, just a shame I can't play like him. AM
Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Konferencja prasowa po zwycięstwie w drugiej rundzie Us Open 2011
Spoiler:
Źródło: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv ... 51501.html
W(20): 23': Halle 22': Doha, Bastad, Gijon 21': Cagliari, Lyon, Waszyngton 20': Montpellier 18': Doha, Pekin 17': Szanghaj, Bazylea 16': Queen's Club, Atlanta 14': Pekin 13': Montpellier, Atlanta 12': Kuala Lumpur, Szanghaj, Bazylea
F(29): 23': Pune, Australian Open, 22': Neapol 21': Marsylia, Stuttgart, Eastbourne, Gstaad, Winston-Salem, Metz 20': Adelajda, Australian Open 19': Montpellier 18': Dubaj, Umag 17': Sofia, Barcelona, s-Hertogenbosch', Wimbledon 16': Genewa, s-Hertogenbosch' 13': Barcelona, Madryt, Bercy 12': Dubaj, Estoril, Madryt, Rzym, Nicea 11': Los Angeles

W(14): 22': AO, MC, Madryt, Wimbledon, Cincy, Bercy 21': Toronto, Cincy 19': Montreal 18': MTT Finals 17': USO 15': AO, RG 13': Wimbledon
F(8): 23': Rzym 22': USO, MTT Finals 19: Rzym, Wimbledon, Davis Cup 18': USO 16':
Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Konferencja prasowa po zwycięstwie w trzeciej rundzie Us Open:
Spoiler:
Źródło: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv ... 18785.html

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Konferencja prasowa po zwycięstwie w 4 rundzie Us Open 2011:
Spoiler:
Źródło: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv ... 51548.html

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Konferencja prasowa po porażce w półfinale Us Open 2011:
Spoiler:
Źródło: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv ... 07676.html

Awatar użytkownika
robpal

Post autor: robpal »

Murray believes he has Grand Slam title chances

Obrazek

Murray believes he has Grand Slam title chances Despite going down to Rafael Nadal in a fifth loss over the past ten months with a US Open semi-final defeat, Andy Murray insists that he has plenty of chances to crack through his personal Grand Slam barrier.

(Winning a major) is something I want to try and achieve," said the Scot who has been beaten in all three of his career finals at the elite level, including New York in 2008 by Roger Federer and twice at the Australian open by Federer and Novak Djokovic.

"If you want to judge someone's whole career based purely on slams, I would have had a terrible career.

"But I don't really feel like I have," said the winner of 18 ATP trophies. "There have been other things I've done well, and I've still got hopefully three or four more years where I'm playing the tennis in my peak.

"I need to stay healthy and improve. If I don't, then it's gonna be difficult to win one. But if I do, then I'm getting a little bit closer each year."

Murray called 2011 "the best year for me in the slams," after reaching the semi-finals of all four. "There are a few things I need to get better at."
http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 ... le_chances
MTT career highlights (26-17):
2021: Delray Beach (F);
2020: Antwerpia (W), Cincinnati (W), Dubaj (F), Montpellier (F);
2019: Bazylea (W), Sztokholm (W), Szanghaj (W), Metz (W), Winston-Salem (F), Stuttgart (W), Madryt (W), Monachium (F), Barcelona (F), Houston (W), Acapulco (W), Buenos Aires (F);
2018: Paryż (F), Bazylea (F), Metz (W), Toronto (W), Estoril (F), Miami (W), Australian Open (F);
2017: WTF (W), Sztokholm (W), Hamburg (W), Stuttgart (W), Acapulco (W);
2016: WTF (F), Bazylea (F), Cincinnati (W), Roland Garros (F), Marsylia (W), Doha (W);
2015: WTF (W), Bazylea (W), Winston-Salem (W), Hamburg (W), Wimbledon (F), Stuttgart (W), Monte Carlo (F), Indian Wells (F);
2014: Halle (F)
Awatar użytkownika
robpal

Unlucky Murray to bask in GB promotion

Obrazek

Andy Murray is hugely unfortunate to be playing in the best era the sport has ever seen, but now he may at least be able to content himself with leading Great Britain to another crucial Davis Cup win.

Britain take on Hungary this weekend with the winners of the tie set for promotion to Europe/Africa Group I in 2012, and with Murray leading the team it is a golden opportunity.

It has been speculated by some that Murray could find a new level as a result of his Davis Cup exploits in the same manner as Djokovic did, but I think the Scot is already at his optimum.

Murray continues to talk about getting even fitter and to deal with his slightly erratic body language on court, but I don't think there is any more he can do.

Somewhere along the line, Murray will get lucky at a Grand Slam and secure a title that has eluded him thus far.

The danger is obviously that Murray is not able to play in a tie, as that would be effectively curtains for Britain, but he is committed right now.

The Scot is clearly going to be disappointed after his exit in the US Open semi-finals, but he was more gutted to have been defeated at Wimbledon and his response was superb after that.

Murray's loss at Flushing Meadows was less heartbreaking than at SW19, and he looks to be in terrific shape coming into this tie.

I think he will have no trouble whatsoever in coming through his two matches comfortably, and Britain should have the tie wrapped up as a result.

It is a big fillip for coach Leon Smith that Britain finally have an established number two to Murray, and James Ward has been performing superbly of late.

I would back Ward to prevail in each of his two matches also, and Britain should win promotion as a result of a team win.

It would be a real success for Smith, who has thrived in the role of coach and has performed very well since being appointed.

Perhaps Smith's greatest success was in persuading Murray to commit to the team, and as a result Britain sit on the verge of sealing promotion.

Murray is the key to every success Britain has in the competition, and with the Braehead Arena set to provide incredible support once more, it should be a fantastic weekend.

The Scot produced a hugely impressive and very emotional performance in the previous round, and I would not be surprised if he plays even better this time around.

I expect a convincing victory for Britain, and it represents another chance for Murray to show everyone once again how much playing in the competition means to him.
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon ... icle/7428/
2019: Bazylea (W), Sztokholm (W), Szanghaj (W), Metz (W), Winston-Salem (F), Stuttgart (W), Madryt (W), Monachium (F), Barcelona (F), Houston (W), Acapulco (W), Buenos Aires (F);
2018: Paryż (F), Bazylea (F), Metz (W), Toronto (W), Estoril (F), Miami (W), Australian Open (F);
2016: WTF (F), Bazylea (F), Cincinnati (W), Roland Garros (F), Marsylia (W), Doha (W);
2015: WTF (W), Bazylea (W), Winston-Salem (W), Hamburg (W), Wimbledon (F), Stuttgart (W), Monte Carlo (F), Indian Wells (F);
Awatar użytkownika
robpal

Murray is back to thrill Thai fans

World No.4 Andy Murray began his rise at the Thailand Open in 2005. He defeated local favourite Paradorn Srichaphan in the semi-finals for his first-ever ATP final before losing to then No.1 Roger Federer. He made his other Thailand Open appearance the following year and is returning to Bangkok for the 2011 tournament. Here the Briton talks about tennis and his life in an interview ahead of his arrival tomorrow.

Obrazek
Andy Murray made his Thailand Open debut in 2005.

Do you have any special message for your Thai fans?
I haven't been back there for a while but I look forward to it. When I played there in 2005, it was the first time I made the final and I played [Paradorn] Srichaphan there in the semis and it was absolutely packed. Hopefully we will get some fans to come out and watch the matches this year.

Do you have any superstitious rituals before a match?
I listen to some music normally before I go on court. It changes every week but I always try and listen to a few songs before I go on the court.

You are in a karaoke bar and have to sing. What song do you choose?
I play SingStar Pro on the PlayStation with my friends and the only song I can sing is Losing My Religion from REM, and I don't even sing that well but I know all the words.

Who is your hero or inspiration (not necessarily in tennis)?
I would say Muhammad Ali is someone I follow a lot, kind of like for the last five or six years. I have watched a lot of his fights and I just think he is an amazing man. He's got a very strong personality and he obviously had to come through quite a lot to get to where he did.

You've been runner-up in three Grand Slam events. What do you think you have to do to win one?
I think it's just playing that little, sort of five or 10 percent better. In the final, there is a small sort of margin when you get there between beating the best player and losing, and I haven't quite played my best tennis in the final yet so that's what I need to do.

You are now number four in the world rankings. Is getting to No.1, one of your career goals?
Yeah, I think getting to number one is everyone's goal once you get up there. You know it's a tough thing to do just now because it's so competitive right at the top of the game but I think that definitely is a goal, something I want to try and achieve.

What is the best thing about being a top tennis player?
I think, you know, it's kind of a positive in a lot of ways and a slight negative too. The travelling that we get to do is great and we get to go to a lot of great cities. I have seen many things and been to all parts of the world.
I started travelling when I was 12 and that is probably something I would have not got to do if I hadn't been playing tennis. But with that it means you spend a lot of time away from your family and friends and that is one of the sacrifices you have to make.

What is your career goal?
I think getting to No.1 and winning Slams is really the main goals for now.

Beside tennis, do you play any other sports?
I play football, I play golf, I play any sport that is around, I don't mind. Sometimes when I'm in Miami, I play a bit of basketball but I'm terrible at that.

What would you share with kids who want to be as successful as you?
I think just working hard and enjoying it. When you're young it's not about winning all the time, it's about enjoying yourself so that when you get to sort of 16 or 17 years old you're still enjoying it and it hasn't become stressful from a very young age. Working hard is always important if you want to become successful.

Do you ever get tired of being a tennis player?
No, I don't really get tired of playing. With tennis the travelling is difficult but I don't really get tired of doing it.

When you are in really intense moments in a match, what do you tell yourself to deal with the situation?
You just have to trust the work that you have done and the preparation. That's really the one thing that you need to keep doing. As soon as you start doubting yourself in big moments you are going to start making mistakes.

Who was your inspiration to become a tennis player?
It wasn't one thing in particular. I just always loved competing and I've played since I was a kid and I played loads of sports when I was growing up but tennis was pretty much the only one that I was good at so I enjoyed competing and that was it.

How old were you when you decided that you would be a professional player?
I was probably about 15 or 16 when I went to train over in Barcelona. That was quite a big sacrifice to move away from home at that age and be away from my family. I had to decide then that I was going to put as much as I could into it. I didn't stop to do as much studying and my tennis kind of became the priority. So, yeah, that kind of age.

How does fame affect your private life?
You try and do the same things that you would normally do but when you're in supermarkets and walking round I don't really feel that comfortable, I don't really like being stared at. So that's probably the only thing I don't like about it. ~ Bangkok Post
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/ ... -thai-fans
Awatar użytkownika
jaccol55

Andy Murray

Post autor: jaccol55 »

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Murray dials down the player strike rhetoric

Obrazek

Andy Murray has made the effort to tone down the rhetoric about possible strike action form tennis players, saying that only a few minor changes are needed to fix the ATP calendar. The Scot got off to a winning start at the Bangkok Open, then tried to calm the waters after first bringing up the subject of possible industrial action this month at the Davis Cup.

"We're only proposing small changes, a few less mandatory events and some more rest periods. Tennis is in a great place right now and no one is yet talking about a strike. There are just a few minor things we'd like to see changed.

"We hope to sit with the ATP and other officials and discuss them. Two or three more weeks off a season is what we are thinking of. I never said anyone wanted to strike, we do want some small changes"

Murray had originally proposed a player summit to discuss the issue at the Shanghai masters starting a week from Monday. But with Roger Federer missing that event to rest and injured Novak Djokovic looking increasingly unlikely to play, the talks would have to be put back.

The next best option could be the Paris Bercy Masters indoors in early November.
Źródło: http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 ... e_rhetoric_

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Murray into Bangkok final after defeating Simon

Obrazek

Andy Murray set up a final showdown with American Donald Young with his three-set ouster of No. 3 seed Gilles Simon.

Both men put on a good show in this semifinal match. France’s Gilles Simon was able to snag the middle set from the tournament top seed, but for most of the match, Murray was simply the better player.

As usual, the Scot’s return game was on point, but his down-the-line forehand was his most intimidating weapon in the match.

Murray’s serving in the first and third sets was good enough to hold off Simon completely. The Frenchman’s only break point chances came in the middle set, both of which he converted.

Though the world No. 4 dropped a set, he never seemed in danger of suffering an upset.

Murray will take on the red-hot American Donald Young in Sunday’s final.
Źródło: http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20111 ... ting_Simon

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Murray takes aim at Federer's No. 3 ATP spot

Obrazek

Andy Murray is mounting a campaign to seize the No. 3 ranking from idle Roger Federer, with the Scot hoping to overhaul the Swiss by the end of this season.

Murray confirmed his big plans as he continued his advance at the Thailand Open, where he lost the 2005 final to the Swiss.

"These weeks in Asia are an opportunity," said Muray. "There‘s not a huge margin between us (a few hundred ranking points) and it‘s something I‘d like to do by the end of the year.

"After the US Open I set a few goals and done of them is to try for No. 3. The other is to do better at the World Tour Finals in London. I need to win some matches in the coming weeks, I can't just go through the motions. My goal really is to finish inside the Top 3."

Federer is missing the ATP Asian circuit, preferring to rest after the US Open and a winning Davis Cup effort in Sydney which immediately followed the major by a few days halfway around the world.

Murray meanwhile, is pushing on as he works to nudge his No. 4 ranking up a notch. One of his best chances will come at the Shanghai Masters starting a week from Monday, which he won last year over the Swiss, picking up a valuable 1,000 ranking points.
Źródło: http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20111 ... 3_ATP_spot

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

#19) Bangkok 2011

R32 Bye
R16 Michael Berrer (GER) 6/4, 6/2
Q Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 6/4, 6/4
S Gilles Simon (FRA) 6/2, 3/6, 6/2
F Donald Young (USA) 6/2, 6/0

Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 02 paź 2011, 15:56 przez Ranger, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Murray Too Strong For Young In Bangkok Final

World No. 4 Andy Murray was too good for Donald Young on Sunday in the PTT Thailand Open final, denying the 22-year-old American his first ATP World Tour title with a 6-2, 6-0 victory.

"In terms of the way I’m playing it’s very good to get off to a start like that on this stretch and hopefully I can continue that through Shanghai," said the Scot, who is targetting a Top 3 finish to the season. "It’s a very good start. Roger [Federer] always plays very well on the European indoor courts, so I’m sure I’m going to have to win a lot more matches if I want to finish No. 3. That’s the goal and I’ll keep working hard to give myself a shot at doing that."

Murray reached his first ATP World Tour final in Bangkok as an 18 year old in 2005, finishing runner-up to Roger Federer. Victory over Young saw him clinch his 19th ATP World Tour crown and his third of the season, adding to victories at the AEGON Championships (d. Tsonga) in London and the Western & Southern Open (d. Djokovic) in Cincinnati. He is the fifth player this season to win at least three titles.

As winner of the ATP World Tour 250 indoor hard-court tennis tournament, Murray received 250 South African Airways 2011 ATP Ranking points. The Scot has already secured his place at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London.

After his breakthrough week, Young will crack the Top 50 for the first time at around World No. 43 on Monday. The American, who was contesting his first ATP World Tour final, received 150 South African Airways 2011 ATP Ranking points.

"He played well. I couldn’t do much and it showed in the score," admitted Young. "It was great play from him. It was my first final on the ATP World Tour; I’ve had a semi and the fourth round of a slam, but there’s nothing like your first final. It’s great. I beat some high calibre players and I played well.

"It was definitely great to win four matches and I’m into the Top 50 which is great for me; it was one of my goals at the start of the year. I just hope I can build on that and have more tournaments like this."

In a thoroughly dominant display, Murray led 4-0 before Young had the chance to get on the scoreboard. The top seed converted all five of his break points and surrendered just eight points on serve as he completed the rout in only 47 minutes.

"I just played really well," said Murray. "Towards the end of the first set he started to play a bit better, but once I got up in the second I hardly made any mistakes. Felt like I was moving well, so it was difficult for him to hit any clean winners. I served very well throughout and didn’t give him any opportunities. It was a great match."

It was the pair’s third meeting of the year. Young caused a shock when he defeated Murray at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, shortly after the Scot had suffered his third Grand Slam final defeat at the Australian Open (l. to Djokovic). Murray avenged that loss with victory over Young in the fourth round at the US Open.

The 24-year-old Murray has now won 16 of his past 17 matches. After winning the Cincinnati crown he reached the US Open semi-finals, losing out to Rafael Nadal, before helping Great Britain to victory over Hungary. He has a 45-11 match record on the year, including reaching at least the semi-finals in all four Grand Slam championships, and next competes at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships in Tokyo next week.
Źródło: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... Title.aspx

Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Murray enters Tokyo with caution

Obrazek

Andy Murray refuses to get carried away after winning his third 2011 title at the Thailand Open, with the Scot keeping his expectations for this week's ATP event in Tokyo down to a minimum.

Murray crushed American neophyte Donald Young with the loss of just two games in the Bangkok final, but he will have to deal with Rafael Nadal, the defending champion, this week in the Japanese capital.

"It's a big change of surface and Tokyo's not that close," said Murray, referring to jet lag. "I may have to be realistic in my expectations a bit. But this was a great week for me and it helps to begin the Asian swing like this."

Murray remains keen in his goal of trying to pass Roger Federer for third in the rankings by the end of 2011. The Swiss is not playing the autumn Asian swing, instead resting and clearing up some unspecified minor injuries.

"Roger always plays very well on the European indoor courts, so I'm sure I'm going to have to win a lot more matches if I want to finish as No. 3," said Murray. "That's the goal and I'll keep working hard to give myself a shot at doing that."
Źródło: http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20111 ... th_caution

sheva

Post autor: sheva »

Consistent Murray should be cherished

Obrazek

Andy Murray gets his fair share of criticism for not having won a Grand Slam, but he should be cherished for his unrelenting consistency.

It was a very good move from Murray to go to Thailand, and none of the other top players followed suit, so it proved a very fine opportunity to gain silverware and points.

The world number four took just 48 minutes to thrash Donald Young in the Bangkok final, and I'm sure there was a very lucrative reward for him too.

Murray is playing incredibly well at the moment, and his consistency should be admired and respected by everyone because he has sustained it for so long.

The Brit bounces back every time he gets a knock, and he always responds well to a disappointment, which makes him the player that he is.

An example is the way in which he was absolutely distraught at having lost in the Australian Open, and that hit him really hard.

But there is always a way back for him, and he refuses to let high-profile defeats get him down or have a lasting effect on his form.

I think Murray manages to hit his peak form at just the right times, and that always stands him in good stead at Grand Slams.

It just happens, that Murray is very unfortunate to be playing in the best ever era in the sport with three true greats above him in the rankings.

No matter what the Brit does on the big stage, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer always find that tiny bit extra to have the edge.

Does the fact that Murray consistently reaches the latter stages of Grand Slams, only to be defeated make him a frustrating player? Absolutely not.

Murray is incredibly good at sustaining a high level throughout every tournament he plays in and that is why his ranking will always do him justice.

There are those who say that he will get lucky at one Grand Slam with the top three players having a poor tournament if he keeps his standard at the same level, but I don't see it like that.

Murray has enjoyed his fair share of luck at Grand Slams, but he is just not at the same level to the top three when it comes to the very biggest games.

The Brit may be the world number four, but his consistency is to be greatly admired and it is about time that we all gave him credit for this admirable characteristic.

It will be a very long time until we see a player of his calibre come from this part of the world.

Put simply, Murray should be cherished.

Simon Reed
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/si ... icle/7661/
http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis

MTT Rank -4 (High Rank -2)

W: Winston-Salem '14 Newport '14 Brisbane '14 Shanghai '13 Beijing '13 Wimbledon '12 Rome '12 Madrid '12 Basel '11 Dubai '11 Sydney '11 Kuala Lumpur '10
F: Bercy'14 AO '14 Eastbourne '12 Barcelona '12 Munich '12 Beijing '11 Bercy '09
SF: Barcelona '14 Stockholm '13 Paris-Bercy '12 Toronto '12 Vienna '11 LA '11 Valencia '10 Moscow '10 Hamburg '10 Belgrade '10 Brisbane '10
sheva

Post autor: sheva »

More than Andy Murray this weekend

It was a weekend of surprises. Agnieszka Radwanska battered down some erstwhile WTA No. 1s -- all of them Grand Slam-less, mind you, including Vera Zvonareva and Victoria Azarenka -- to win the Tokyo title. Janko Tipsarevic punched through to win his first ATP Tour title in five tries and, most stunning of all, but in a good way, Donald Young Jr. made the final at Bangkok.

The only predictable element of the weekend was Andy Murray's triumph over Young, although that 6-2, 6-0 score had to make you wince. I guess Murray is getting a little bit tired of young Donald nipping at his heels. This was their third meeting of the year, and Young's win over ATP No. 4 Murray at Indian Wells was not only a painful blow to the ego of the then-swooning Scot, but it also helped launch the resurgence (if that word can be used to describe the career of a mere 22-year-old) that has vaulted Young up to No. 43.

They might have called this one "Microcosm Weekend," because it seemed to put the present, different nature of the two tours into sharp and accurate perspective. On the men's side, the big four (working bottom to top in the rankings: Murray, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and No. 1 Novak Djokovic) do an excellent job hogging the glory (and beating up on each other) whenever they enter a tournament.

Thankfully, that's often. One or another of them is usually around to play sheriff when the cowpunchers get a little bit too rowdy. So though it's nice to see a popular guy like Marcos Baghdatis get back into the limelight (as a finalist in Kuala Lumpur) and to witness Tipsarevic, the poor man's Novak Djokovic, grab that maiden ATP Tour win there, it's even more comforting to get a good sense of just where they fit in the pecking order.

The contrast with the WTA situation is instructive. The big takeaway from Tokyo is that it's just like the ATP -- or would be, if you locked Djokovic up in a tower, shackled Nadal to the mast of a ship, buried Federer in sand up to his chin and marooned Murray on a desert island.

Serena Williams is frequently out of commission, and despite legitimate injuries, she knows she can play as much or little as she wants and get away with it. Justine Henin is so long gone she may as well be locked up in a tower. Kim Clijsters is injured (or on a hiatus, or a paid leave, or a sabbatical ... whatever). Fashionista Maria Sharapova has never been accused of cross-dressing, but she may be the Andy Murray in this WTA crowd.

Give Sharapova credit: She's the only one in the WTA quartet cited above (loosely, they comprise a generation) who is out there plugging away on a daily basis. If she hadn't gone down with an ankle injury in Tokyo, she might have asserted her authority and positioned herself even more favorably to unseat Caroline Wozniacki -- one of the weakest No. 1 players the WTA has ever produced.

But even with Sharapova down, neither Wozniacki, nor No. 3 Victoria Azarenka, nor 2010's two-time Grand Slam finalist Vera Zvonareva, nor U.S. Open champ Sam Stosur, nor Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova, nor former No. 1s Jelena Jankovic or Ana Ivanovic -- all of them and more, including former Wimbledon finalist Marion Bartoli, were entered in Tokyo -- was able to (wo)man up and win this Tokyo thing. The title went to No. 13 Radwanska.

A little unpredictability is a good thing. A lot of it merely spells C-H-A-O-S.

Peter Bodo

http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/b ... nd-winners
http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis

MTT Rank -4 (High Rank -2)

W: Winston-Salem '14 Newport '14 Brisbane '14 Shanghai '13 Beijing '13 Wimbledon '12 Rome '12 Madrid '12 Basel '11 Dubai '11 Sydney '11 Kuala Lumpur '10
F: Bercy'14 AO '14 Eastbourne '12 Barcelona '12 Munich '12 Beijing '11 Bercy '09
SF: Barcelona '14 Stockholm '13 Paris-Bercy '12 Toronto '12 Vienna '11 LA '11 Valencia '10 Moscow '10 Hamburg '10 Belgrade '10 Brisbane '10
ODPOWIEDZ