Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
robpal

Re: Sezon 2011 - grudniowe dyskusje/podsumowania

Post autor: robpal »

Rivalries 2011 - Djokovic vs. Federer

Obrazek
Novak Djokovic won four of his five meetings against
Roger Federer in 2011, but Federer leads 14-10 overall.

ATPWorldTour.com reviews how the key rivalries played out in 2011. To conclude the series, today, we feature Novak Djokovic vs. Roger Federer.

Novak Djokovic won four of his five meetings against Roger Federer this year, to improve to 10-14 in their FedEx ATP Head 2 Head series. Two of their clashes will live long in the memory.

Confidence coursed through Djokovic's veins in victories over Federer in the Australian Open semi-finals and for his third straight title at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. By the time the pair met in the BNP Paribas Open semi-finals, in mid-March, the World No. 2 ranking was on the line. "You could feel the intensity and I guess the pressure with both of us," Djokovic admitted after his three-set Indian Wells win.

The trilogy showcased Djokovic's greater power, his improved fitness levels and the benefits of his widely publicised gluten-free diet. His run of form and boundless confidence, founded on helping Serbia win its first Davis Cup title in December 2010, paved the way to him becoming the World No. 1 in early July. But ultimately, the matches proved to be Hors d'oeuvres for two of the finest matches of the year - on two of the sport's grandest stages.

The first came at Roland Garros on 3 June. Djokovic entered Court Philippe Chatrier, unbeaten in 41 matches in 2011. It seemed only die-hard Federer fans were backing the Swiss. Three hours and 39 minutes later, at 9:37 p.m., Federer struck his 18th aces of the match to complete a 7-6(5), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5) victory, which ended the best streak to begin a season since John McEnroe's 42 in 1984. Closing on his 30th birthday, Federer produced a vintage, aggressive performance that proved to the tennis world that he could still add to his haul of 16 Grand Slam championship titles.

"I really wanted to make it as physical as possible, which I was able to make happen," Federer said of his win, which snapped a three-match losing streak against Djokovic. "I was really happy with the way I played. I thought it was a great match from both sides."

One hundred days later, on 10 September, in the US Open semi-finals, the quality of tennis - by both players - was even greater. The drama unrivalled in any of their 24 meetings.

Djokovic will forever recall how, for the second time in his career, he rallied from a two-set deficit to win. Saving two match points with Federer serving at 5-3, 40/15, in the fifth set, the Serbian defeated the five-time former champion 6-7(7), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5 in three hours and 51 minutes.

It left Federer shell-shocked. History had repeated itself. In 2010, Federer had squandered two match points on Djokovic's serve to lose the semi-final. "It was a very similar situation to last year," acknowledged Djokovic. "I had to take my chances. I was very close to being on my way back home. It was an incredible last two games."

Djokovic vs. Federer: 2011 Meetings
Australian Open SF Djokovic 76(3) 75 64
Dubai Final Djokovic 63 63
Indian Wells SF Djokovic 63 36 62
Roland Garros SF Federer 76(5) 63 36 76(5)
US Open SF Djokovic 67(7) 46 63 62 75
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... derer.aspx
MTT career highlights (26-17):
2021: Delray Beach (F);
2020: Antwerpia (W), Cincinnati (W), Dubaj (F), Montpellier (F);
2019: Bazylea (W), Sztokholm (W), Szanghaj (W), Metz (W), Winston-Salem (F), Stuttgart (W), Madryt (W), Monachium (F), Barcelona (F), Houston (W), Acapulco (W), Buenos Aires (F);
2018: Paryż (F), Bazylea (F), Metz (W), Toronto (W), Estoril (F), Miami (W), Australian Open (F);
2017: WTF (W), Sztokholm (W), Hamburg (W), Stuttgart (W), Acapulco (W);
2016: WTF (F), Bazylea (F), Cincinnati (W), Roland Garros (F), Marsylia (W), Doha (W);
2015: WTF (W), Bazylea (W), Winston-Salem (W), Hamburg (W), Wimbledon (F), Stuttgart (W), Monte Carlo (F), Indian Wells (F);
2014: Halle (F)
Awatar użytkownika
robpal

Post autor: robpal »

Rivalries 2011 - Djokovic vs. Murray

Obrazek
Novak Djokovic defeated Andy Murray in Melbourne
to claim his second Australian Open title.

ATPWorldTour.com reviews how the key rivalries played out in 2011. Today we feature Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray.

Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray were born just a week apart in 1987. Friends since their days as junior players, the pair’s rise up the South African Airways ATP Rankings four years ago has provided tennis fans with a fresh rivalry to follow. Though they didn’t play each other in 2010, the two squared off three times this season, playing arguably the best match on the ATP World Tour in Rome. Djokovic won two of their three encounters to take a 6-4 lead in their FedEx ATP Head 2 Head series.

Meeting for the first time at a Grand Slam event, Djokovic and Murray faced each other for the Australian Open title. The combination of Djokovic’s impressive level of play and Murray’s inconsistency throughout the match resulted in a routine 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 victory for Djokovic, giving the Serbian his second Australian Open title in four years, and denying Murray his first major title in his third attempt.

"[Winning a] Davis Cup title and another Grand Slam title, I'm living the dream of a tennis player, definitely," declared Djokovic. "I have been more focused and dedicated to the sport than I have ever been before. To be able to win in straight sets against a player like Andy Murray in the final of a Grand Slam, it makes my success even bigger."

The two would not meet again until the clay-court season, clashing in a memorable semi-final at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome. After splitting the first two sets, Djokovic and Murray went toe-to-toe on the baseline, producing several grueling rallies. Murray looked become the first player to beat Djokovic in 2011, having served for the match at 5-4. Djokovic though, continued to fight and after being within two points of defeat on four occasions, broke Murray to level. The Serb then capitalised in the ensuing tie-break to improve to a 38-0 season record with a 6-1, 3-6, 7-6(2) win.

"Andy played a really good match tonight. He was unfortunate not to finish it out," stated Djokovic. "It’s an amazing achievement... a great effort from both of us."

Added Murray, “It was good match and I had chances to win. He played very well in the first set and I did not really get into it. I think after that, especially towards the end of the second and third sets, there was some very good tennis.”

Their final match-up came in the Western & Southern Open final in Cincinnati. Murray was the in-form player of the week and brought it against Djokovic, taking the first set 6-4. On a roll winning six of seven games, Murray led 3-0 in the second set before Djokovic retired with a shoulder injury. The World No. 4 did not drop a set en route to lifting his second trophy at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event.

"I would have obviously liked to have won by finishing the match," admitted Murray. "But it happens sometimes. I have to look at the week as a whole. It's been a very good week. Coming in here I had played badly in Montréal, so I needed to have a good week. Regardless of the match today, I was happy with the way that it had gone. Glad I managed to win today, but unfortunate the way it happened.”

Djokovic vs. Murray: 2011 Meetings
Australian Open Final Djokovic 64 62 63
Rome SF Djokovic 61 36 76(2)
Cincinnati Final Murray 64 30 ret.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... urray.aspx
MTT career highlights (26-17):
2021: Delray Beach (F);
2020: Antwerpia (W), Cincinnati (W), Dubaj (F), Montpellier (F);
2019: Bazylea (W), Sztokholm (W), Szanghaj (W), Metz (W), Winston-Salem (F), Stuttgart (W), Madryt (W), Monachium (F), Barcelona (F), Houston (W), Acapulco (W), Buenos Aires (F);
2018: Paryż (F), Bazylea (F), Metz (W), Toronto (W), Estoril (F), Miami (W), Australian Open (F);
2017: WTF (W), Sztokholm (W), Hamburg (W), Stuttgart (W), Acapulco (W);
2016: WTF (F), Bazylea (F), Cincinnati (W), Roland Garros (F), Marsylia (W), Doha (W);
2015: WTF (W), Bazylea (W), Winston-Salem (W), Hamburg (W), Wimbledon (F), Stuttgart (W), Monte Carlo (F), Indian Wells (F);
2014: Halle (F)
Awatar użytkownika
jaccol55

Post autor: jaccol55 »

Zablokowany