mtenis.com.pl

mtenis.com.pl

Forum tenisowe ATP
Dzisiaj jest 25 wrz 2018, 23:41

Strefa czasowa UTC+2godz.

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 78 ]  Przejdź na stronę 1, 2, 3, 4  Następna
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Brian Baker
PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 9:35 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

ObrazekBRIAN BAKER

Obrazek

Narodowość: USA
Data urodzenia: 30.04.1985
Miejsce urodzenia: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Miejsce zamieszkania: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Wzrost: 190 cm
Waga: 77 kg
Gracz praworęczny

Profil na stronie ATP:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Play ... Baker.aspx

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2013 (3) Montreal M1000, Rzym M1000, Dubaj
2012 (1) Toronto M1000
2011 (4) Waszyngton, Belgrad, Miami M1000, San Jose
2010 (2) Wiedeń, Rotterdam
2009 (2) Szanghaj M1000, Eastbourne
2008 (2) US Open, Estoril

MTT - finały (21)
2018 (3) Sankt Petersburg, Stuttgart, Marsylia
2017 (2) Sztokholm, Indian Wells M1000
2016 (2) Newport, Rotterdam
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2013 (2) Basel, Kuala Lumpur
2011 (3) WTF, Cincinnati M1000, Rzym M1000
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2009 (4) WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, Madryt M1000
2008 (1) WTF

Tytuł: Re: Brian Baker
PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 9:35 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

Osiągnięcia

Finały w singlu (1)
2012 (1) Nicea

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 9:45 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

Brian Baker objawił się całej Ameryce podczas US Open 2005 , kiedy to w pierwszej rundzie wyeliminował rozstawionego z numerem 9 Gastona Gaudio. Miał wtedy 20 lat i był to do tej pory jego jedyny występ w turnieju głównym wielkoszlemowej imprezy. Jego kariera trwałą krótko, w latach 2002-2005. Wrócił na chwilę, kiedy to jesienią 2007 roku zagrał w kilku challengerach. Łącznie, w tamtym czasie, wygrał jedną taką imprezę, raz dochodząc do finału.

15 listopada 2004 roku zajmował 172 miejsce w rankingu ATP. W ciągu ostatnich miesięcy ponownie zawitał do ATP, z zamiarem reaktywacji swojej kariery.

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 9:46 
Awatar użytkownika

Cytuj:
For Brian Baker, a Career Derailed by Injuries

It’s hard to recognize a tennis player in civilian clothes, so it took me a moment to see Brian Baker as he ambled towards me. Tall at 6-foot-3, and built like his former rival Novak Djokovic, Baker looked like a student at nearby Belmont University, which in fact he is. He’s also the men’s assistant tennis coach at Belmont. I had called Brian to hear his impressions of Wimbledon and to see how his own tennis game was coming along. We had agreed to meet for an iced tea at Bongo Java, a coffee place favored by music-business types housed in a old two story structure across the street from Belmont. Once inside, we ordered our drinks and looked at the “Nun Bun,” a pastry now preserved with shellac said to resemble Mother Teresa which created quite a stir back in October 1996, when it was featured in USA Today. Our talk turned to the men’s draw at Wimbledon, and specifically to Monday’s Round of 16 matchups.

A few years ago, Baker was the No. 2-ranked junior in the world. Orange Bowl champion, finalist at the Junior French Open, and a quarterfinalist at Wimbledon juniors, Brian spurned college offers to turn pro.

He was on track, doing well, the next American tennis great in the pro tennis pipeline. Then the injuries came. First he hurt his hip. After beating the 2004 French Open winner Gaston Gaudio in the first round at the United States Open, Baker’s sore hip worsened, and he opted for surgery to repair a labral tear and shave down some protruding bone in the hip socket. While recovering, he worked hard to develop his upper body strength. He may have overdone it because he hurt his elbow when he was finally cleared to play again. More surgery, this time U.C.L. reconstruction, known more commonly as Tommy John surgery. A second hip operation, then a third.

I asked Brian how he felt watching Wimbledon. “I couldn’t for the first couple of years; it was hard to see people I’d beaten just a couple of years ago doing so well, players like Murray and Djokovic and Monfils,” he said, referring to Andy Murray and Gael Monfils. “I’m happy for them, but I know that, healthy, I could make it.” The series of physical ordeals have tested him emotionally as well. Brian characterized these setbacks as “the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through.”

We spoke for close to two hours, and I was struck by his focus and intensity. He averted his eyes only occasionally, usually when trying to recall the specifics of a match or the strengths and weaknesses of a player we were discussing. His insights into the men’s game were fascinating, and I found myself marveling at his tactical acumen and knowledge of tennis at the highest levels.

If his body would cooperate, Baker has the head for the game. Although I’ve seen him play dozens of times, I asked Brian to describe his own game. “When I played Djokovic in ’05, I thought I was playing a clone of myself, except that he was way faster. We both kept building points around our backhands; we each hit, like, 20 backhand down-the-line winners. I beat him then, but close. I guess I figure things out well on court, I know how to construct points. The game today is so fast but I got very good at noticing things. I anticipate well.”

The talk turned to the men’s Round of 16. Brian thought Lleyton Hewitt would outscrap Radek Stepanek, and that his experience as a former Wimbledon champion would be the mental difference. In the Tomas Berdych match against Andy Roddick, he liked his fellow American, but Baker predicted a close match, with a few tie breakers. “Andy is a bit tougher in the breakers, but Berdych can also just play lights out.” He picked Murray over Wawrinka in straight sets, citing Murray’s grass-court superiority. “Great draw for Murray,” Brian said.

The most involved conversation was about the Ivo Karlovic-Fernando Verdasco match. Karlovic, whom Brian has played, is the toughest guy to play because he never gives you any rhythm. “His serve is almost impossible to return,” he said. “I hate guessing on my return, because it’s always been a strength of mine, but with Ivo you almost have to. Some people back way up to return, but then he aces you wide with an angle. What’s tough is that the whole match comes down to two or three points. If you’re serving and get down, 15-30, you realize you’re a point away from losing the whole set because he’s so hard to break.” Brian thought the match would be extremely close, with Karlovic winning in four sets, all tie breakers.

We spent the last part of our conversation discussing Brian’s future in tennis. If he continues to feel healthy, he wants to get back out on the tour and try again. “I’ll start with doubles and just playing practice sets with the guys,” he said. “If I can get my elbow 100 percent I think I have a few good years left in me.”

I asked him if he ever felt cheated by all the injuries. “It happens sometimes,” he said. “Yes, it’s been really hard, but I’ve also been blessed with a lot of great things that I’ve accomplished and gotten to do.”

He laughed and said, “Hey, I’m still standing.”

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... -injuries/

PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 10:11 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

Lato 2011: powrót do tenisa.
Po blisko 6-letniej przerwie (nie włączając 2 startów challengerowych jesienią 2007 roku) Brian Baker zdecydował się wznowić swoją profesjonalną karierę. W swoim pierwszym starcie wygrał bez straty seta jeden z turniejów ITF. Kolejny znakomity wynik osiągnął w listopadzie, kiedy to dotarł do finału challengera w Knoxville (przegrał z Levinem). Rok 2011 zakończył na 456 miejscu w rankingu.

2012: kontynuacja rankingowej wspinaczki, pierwsze sukcesy.
Trwający sezon przysporzył Brianowi kolejnych bardzo dobrych wyników. Tytuł w zawodach ITF przekonał go do próby sił na wyższym poziomie. W kwalifikacjach do zawodów ATP w Memphis przegrał w 1 rundzie z Jesse Levinem. W drugiej połowie marca Baker dorzucił do swojej kolekcji drugiego tegorocznego futuresa (trzeciego od powrotu na korty). W kwietniu próbował przebić się do turnieju głównego silnie obsadzonych challengerów na terenie swojego kraju. W Sarasocie osiągnął drugą rundę, gdzie po 3-setowym meczu musiał uznać wyższość Sama Querreya. Jednak moment przełomowy był coraz bliżej. ;)

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 10:15 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

"Cudowne amerykański dzieciak" bezkonkurencyjny w Savannah!

Turniej ATP Challenger Tour w Savannah (korty ziemne) odbył się w ostatnim tygodniu kwietnia. Baker rozpcozął grę od eliminacji, gdzie bez straty seta pokonał swoich rywali:
Q1 Jeff Dadamo (USA) 6-2, 6-4
Q2 Taavo Roos (EST) 6-0, 6-0
Q3 Kevin Kim (USA) 6-2, 6-2

Turniej główny był czymś w rodzaju "wspaniałego snu", kiedy to 27-letni Amerykanin wygrał wszystkie 5 spotkań i po 8 latach przerwy ponownie wywalczył tytuł na zapleczu ATP (w 2004 roku, jako 19-latek, wygrywał w Denver):
R32 Michael Russell (USA) 103 W 6-2, 3-6, 4-2 RET
R16 Robert Kendrick (USA) 689 W 6-3, 6-1
Q Robby Ginepri (USA) 192 W 6-4, 6-4
S Blake Strode (USA) 384 W 6-1, 6-1
W Augustin Gensse (FRA) 155 W 6-4, 6-3

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 10:30 
Awatar użytkownika

Cytuj:
BRIAN BAKER Q&A: COMEBACK KID EYES PARIS

Obrazek
Brian Baker will play his first main
draw at Roland Garros

Brian Baker is living proof that persistence pays off, providing tennis one of the most inspirational stories it has seen in recent years.

The American, who turns 27 on Monday, clinched the USTA’s Roland Garros wild card berth this weekend en route to capturing the Savannah Challenger. The victory propelled him 79 places in the latest South African Airways ATP Rankings, rising from No. 293 to No. 214.

A promising talent who reached the Roland Garros junior final in 2003 (l. to Wawrinka), Baker saw his career derailed by a string of injuries following his coming out party at the 2005 US Open, where he stunned ninth-ranked Gaston Gaudio in the first round.

Having spent nearly six years away from the game, the Nashville native began his comeback bid unranked in July 2011 by winning a Futures event in Pittsburgh, and hasn’t looked back. After qualifying at the Sarasota Challenger last week, where he reached the second round, Baker came through the qualifying again, winning eight matches in Savannah to secure his place in Paris.

ATPWorldTour.com caught up with Baker following his triumph in Georgia, discussing the incredible achievement, his injury struggles and his decision to return to the sport.

Do you feel like this is the beginning of a Hollywood movie script with your 27th birthday coming tomorrow? What went through your mind when you clinched the wild card on Saturday in Savannah?
I don’t know if I would say it’s a movie script, but I’m really excited to have some success in my second go around. I feel like it’s more of a ‘career revival’ kind of thing. Yesterday, going into the match, I knew the winner was going to get the wild card, so I had extra motivation and was very pleased with my performance. I was definitely more pumped up when the last ball when out than I would be in a normal match.

You've defeated quality players, such as Ryan Sweeting, Michael Russell and Robby Ginepri in the two Challenger events to earn the wild card. Which area of your game has presented the biggest challenge to your opposition?
I think it’s been a combination of things. I think my return is one of my strong suits. And on clay, that’s a big advantage. I also feel like I’ve played pretty solid. I haven’t been giving away many free points, so guys have had to work pretty hard to win each point.

Where does your title run in Savannah rank in comparison to some of your 'Career: Part One' achievements?

It’s up there. I still think my victory over Gaudio at the US Open would be number one, against a guy ranked in the Top 10. This is right up there with my first Challenger title in Denver in 2004. The first one is always special, but this one is almost another first one, because I basically took off six years.

The last time you played a full season was in 2005, having played two Challengers in 2007. What made you decide to give your calling another chance last summer in Pennsylvania?

I felt like I had some unfinished business. My body was the main factor was why I took off. I always wanted to come back but my body wouldn’t allow me to. I started to feel a little bit better last summer, so I told myself to give it a go and see how far I can take it. I’ve had some ups and downs since coming back, but right now, it probably feels better than it has in a long time.

Walk us through your injuries, having had multiple hip surgeries and reconstructive surgery on your elbow.
I’ve had five surgeries. I had the left hip in 2005 after the US Open, sports hernia in 2006, left hip again, the right hip and the elbow surgery all in 2008.

It seems very uncommon for athletes outside of baseball to have Tommy John surgery on the elbow. Had you heard of athletes from different sports getting it before you went in?

I hadn’t heard of it either. When I talked to Dr. Andrews, who did my surgery, he said he had done over 1300 of them but on tennis players, had only done five or six.

How cautious have you been in your comeback in not pushing too hard? Have you adapted your style of play as a result?

I’ve had to tone back my tournaments. Last year, I think I only played five times. I had to pull out of a semi-final at a Futures event in October because my shoulder was sore. I knew if I played, I’d probably be out for a couple months. I’m definitely listening to my body now and not taking any chances.

As far as adapting, I haven’t really. I try to play as hard as I can. If you’re not going 100 per cent healthy, you’re not going to be able to play that well. It’s more about trying to take care of my body in every way I can, not really adjusting how I play. I’ve changed how I train, not putting as much stress on the body. In this game, with how physical it is, you have to be in great shape to compete at the top level.

When you were out of the game, how hard was it to see players like Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tomas Berdych, Gael Monfils and Marcos Baghdatis develop into elite stars on the ATP World Tour, knowing you beat them in the juniors and might have been on a similar track had it not been for your misfortunes?
You try not to play that guessing game on what could have been. I’m not going to lie. I was pretty disappointed when I had to sit out all that time. It was pretty tough to watch all the guys on TV having tons of success. I had to learn to deal with it. You can’t fight the things you can’t control. I tried to stay positive and hoped that one day I would be able to give it another go. Do I wish that this would have never happened and been able to play right through? Of course. But that’s not the case, so I had to take it in stride and make the best of the situation.

Why did you decide to enrol at Belmont University?

I would have started earlier if I’d known all my surgeries would have kept me out that long. I was always trying to rehab quickly. I started in the fall of 2008 and went until last summer, taking normal student hours. I also was the assistant coach of the tennis team.

You're travelling without a coach. Are you looking to bring someone on board in the near future?

For right now, there’s no one I have in mind to go after. At some point, that might be the next step. I feel I’d be more inclined to hire someone who is more of a physio/trainer to travel with me before I get a coach, because my body right now is the most important thing to my success.

Your appearance in Paris will be your first Grand Slam main draw outside of the US Open. What are you looking forward to most about playing at Roland Garros?

Starting off, I’ve had good memories there. I got to the final as a junior and I like the clay over there. I didn’t grow up playing on clay, but I’ve had some of my best results on it. It’s going to be a lot of fun. Anytime you can play in a Grand Slam, it’s a special moment. This is the reason why I came back and tried to play again. I wasn’t coming back to try and get into the Top 200. I came back to play in Grand Slams. It might have happened a little sooner than expected, but I’m excited to try and have a good result.

With your recent success, how are you approaching the rest of the season? Do you have any specific goals in mind?

I haven’t sat down and thought about many performance-based goals. Now that the body is feeling better and I’ve proven to myself that I can play eight matches in a week, staying relatively healthy, I’ll have to think of some goals. For the rest of the season, I’m going to look to keep the wave of momentum going. I don’t have an exact ranking I’m looking to get to, but it would be great to crack the Top 150, even Top 100, if I keep playing well.

Who would you like to thank for getting you to where you are today?
There are so many people I can thank. My parents have always been behind me from day one, when I decided to turn pro instead of going to college. They’ve always been in my corner and supported everything I’ve wanted to do. My dad was my first coach, so he’s been instrumental in my tennis. My girlfriend has been supportive through this, especially with all the travel and training and me being away often. Coach Jim Madrigal from Belmont has been huge. He’s always been one of my biggest fans in Nashville. I feel like the whole Nashville tennis community has been behind me, because they know how much this means to me to be able to play at a high level. I’ve had an overwhelming amount of support since I came back.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... -Card.aspx

PostZamieszczono: 04 maja 2012, 10:32 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

Futuresy - tytuły (4): USA-F1'04, USA-F17'11, USA-F3'12, USA-F8'12
Futuresy - finały (2): USA-F8'03, USA-F12'04

Challengery - tytuły (2): Denver'04, Savannah'12
Challengery - finały (2): Tunica Resort'05, Knoxville'11

Ranking na koniec sezonu:
2002 - 614
2003 - 422
2004 - 178
2005 - 205
2011 - 456

Najwyższy ranking: 172 (15.11.2004)
Obecne notowanie: 214

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 13 maja 2012, 16:14 
Awatar użytkownika

Steve Flink: Brian Baker Starts Over

Obrazek

Spoiler:

http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsD ... wsid=10642

PostZamieszczono: 25 maja 2012, 20:36 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

Brian Baker w finale turnieju ATP w Nicei!

- udział w finale to pewne 162 punkty do rankingu ATP
- Baker jest pewny awansu z 216 miejsca na jedną z lokat w okolicach Top-140 (na etapie finału)
- wczoraj, awansując do semi, osiągnął nowy najwyższy ranking w karierze (dotychczasowy to 172 miejsce)
- wygrał 15 meczów z rzędu, a 19 z ostatnich 20 gier (4-0 w ATP Tour)
- wszystkie zwycięstwa w/w serii odniósł na korcie ziemnym.

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 26 maja 2012, 22:47 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

26.05.2012 - rubryka "osiągnięcia" pomazana. :P

Cytuj:
Finały w singlu (1)
2012 (1) Nicea

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 27 maja 2012, 1:00 
Awatar użytkownika

Najwyższy ranking w karierze: 141

2016: Queen's Club, Atlanta
2014: Pekin
2013: Montpellier, Atlanta
2012: Kuala Lumpur, Szanghaj, Bazylea

Finały (17):
2018: Dubaj, Umag
2017: Sofia, Barcelona, s-Hertogenbosch', Wimbledon
2016: Genewa, s-Hertogenbosch
2013: Barcelona, Madryt, Paryż - Bercy
2012: Dubaj, Estoril, Madryt, Rzym, Nicea
2011: Los Angeles

Gra podwójna:

Tytuły (4): Wimbledon’13, Australian Open’15, Roland Garros’15, Us Open'17
Finały (3): Us Open’15, Wimbledon’16, US Open'18

PostZamieszczono: 28 maja 2012, 11:29 
Awatar użytkownika

Cytuj:
Roland Garros. "Drugie życie" Briana Bakera

Obrazek

Był jednym z najbardziej obiecujących amerykańskich tenisistów, na juniorskich turniejach ogrywał Novaka Djokovicia, Tomasa Berdycha i Jo-Wilfrieda Tsongę. Z listy przebytych operacji mógłby uzbierać kilka klasycznych Wielkich Szlemów, jednak po niespełna siedmiu latach rozbratu z rozgrywkami ATP wrócił aby spełniać swoje marzenia. 27-letni Brian Baker osiągnął w tym tygodniu finał turnieju ATP w Nicei.

Ile razy słyszeliśmy o sportowcach, którzy mogliby bić najstarsze rekordy, wygrywać najbardziej prestiżowe zawody, gdyby nie kontuzje? Wielu znawców tenisa już dawno do tej listy dopisało nazwisko amerykańskiego tenisisty Briana Bakera. Niesłusznie.

Pierwsze lata jego kariery były obfite w sukcesy. Doszedł do drugiej pozycji na świecie wśród juniorów, wygrał prestiżowy turniej Orange Bowl, a na paryskich kortach Rolanda Garrosa osiągnął finał rozgrywek chłopców. Regularnie ogrywał Djokovicia, Berdycha, czy Tsongę, którzy stanowią teraz o sile męskiego tenisa.

Po przejściu na zawodowstwo w 2003 roku, kariera Bakera zdecydowanie zwolniła obroty. Tenisista z mizernym skutkiem próbował zbierać punkty do rankingu ATP biorąc udział w challengerach na terenie USA. Pierwszy z nich wygrał rok później w Denver i do 29 kwietnia 2012 r. było to największym osiągnięciem w jego profesjonalnej karierze.

Z zawodowym tenisem pożegnał się na koniec 2005 r., kilka tygodni po pokonaniu w I rundzie US Open Gastona Gaudio, który piętnaście miesięcy wcześniej wygrał wielkoszlemowy Roland Garros. Powodem sześcioletniej przerwy były kontuzje. Na przestrzeni kilku lat Amerykanin trzykrotnie przechodził operacje bioder. Operowana była także przepuklina. Bardzo poważna była też, spotykana najczęściej u baseballistów, tzw. operacja Tommy'ego Johna, polegająca na zastąpieniu wiązadła w łokciu ścięgnem wyciętym z innej części ciała (w tym przypadku z przedramienia).

Klon Djokovicia

- Grając z Djokoviciem w 2005 r., miałem wrażenie, że rywalizuję ze swoim klonem. Z tą różnicą, że on był ode mnie dużo szybszy. Obaj opieraliśmy grę na swoich bekhendach. Każdy z nas zagrał po około dwadzieścia kończących bekhendów wzdłuż linii. Pokonałem go, ale mecz był bardzo wyrównany - wspominał w rozmowie z dziennikarzem "New York Times". Pytany o swoją największą zaletę na korcie, Baker odpowiada bez wahania: - Dobrze czytam grę. Tenis jest w dzisiejszych czasach bardzo szybki, ale umiem przewidywać, gdzie zagra rywal.

Dziś mówi: - Oglądanie w telewizji przeciwników, z którymi nie tak dawno rywalizowałem, osiągających tak ogromne sukcesy było bardzo ciężkie. Nauczyłem się jednak nie próbować walczyć z rzeczami nie zależnymi ode mnie. Przeżyłem wiele momentów, w których mogłem zapytać: "Dlaczego właśnie ja?", ale próbowałem się uporać z problemami i wierzyć, że nadejdą lepsze czasy.

"Lepsze czasy" nadeszły w najbardziej nieoczekiwanym momencie. Brian zdążył już ułożyć sobie życie - wrócił na studia na Uniwersytecie Belmont w rodzinnym Nashville. Wybrał kierunek biznesowy, skoncentrowany na finansach. Po zajęciach, pomagał tamtejszemu trenerowi w prowadzeniu tenisowej drużyny uniwersyteckiej. - Cały czas odbijałem piłkę, ale nie miało to nic wspólnego z grą na punkty pięć dni z rzędu. Latem ubiegłego roku, kiedy poczułem się lepiej pod względem fizycznym, powiedziałem sobie: "Teraz albo nigdy!" - tłumaczy Baker.

Długa droga

Powrót trzeba było zacząć od najmniejszych, regionalnych turniejów, najdalszych krewnych imprez wielkoszlemowych. Baker przemierzał setki kilometrów za kierownicą swojego samochodu, wracając do domu ze skromnymi czekami za kolejne wygrane. Ważniejszy od drobnych pieniędzy był fakt, że organizm tenisisty się nie buntował.

Po wygraniu małego turnieju w Pittsburghu w lipcu ubiegłego roku, tenisowy sezon zakończył finałem w challengerze w Knoxville. Ten wynik przesunął go do piątej setki rankingu ATP. Prawdziwy przełom nastąpił w kwietniu tego roku, gdy po przejściu kwalifikacji na kortach ziemnych w amerykańskiej Sarasocie, odpadł w drugiej rundzie, by w kolejnym starcie w Savannah (pula nagród 50 tys. dol.) wygrać osiem meczów (trzy w eliminacjach i pięć w turnieju głównym) i sięgnąć po tytuł. Do jego dorobku rankingowego dodano 80 punktów, a konto bankowe zasiliło nieco ponad 7 tys. dol.

Zawodnik, który za występy w Sarasocie i Savannah zbierze najwięcej punktów, dostaje od Amerykańskiej Federacji Tenisa przepustkę - tzw. "dziką kartę" do wielkoszlemowego turnieju w Paryżu. Baker: - Jestem bardzo podekscytowany możliwością zagrania na kortach Rolanda Garrosa po tak długiej przerwie. Kiedyś osiągałem tam całkiem niezłe wyniki - cieszy się Amerykanin. - To niemal historia starożytna - dodał ze śmiechem wspominając udział w juniorskim finale French Open sprzed dziewięciu lat.

Nici ze zwiedzania

Zachęcony możliwością gry w Paryżu, Baker udał się na ostatni sprawdzian - poprzedzający wielkoszlemowy występ turniej ATP w Nicei. Oczekiwania nie były duże. Dotychczasowy bilans Amerykanina w turniejach tej rangi wynosił 4-12, nigdy nie udało mu się odnieść dwóch kolejnych zwycięstw. 216 na liście ATP tenisista bez straty seta wygrał jednak trzy mecze eliminacyjne i po niespełna siedmiu latach przerwy mógł znowu poczuć smak rywalizacji w turnieju ATP. Konsumpcja trwała cały tydzień, a jego ofiarami padali kolejno: Serhij Stachowski (ATP 84), Gael Monfils (ATP 13), najlepszy tenisista Kazachstanu Michaił Kukuszkin (ATP 55) oraz triumfator 21 imprez ATP Nikołaj Dawidienko (ATP 53). Po ćwierćfinale dodał wpis na Twitterze. "Kolejny piękny dzień w Nicei. Przed wyjazdem muszę jeszcze zajrzeć do Monte Carlo". Zwiedzanie oddalonego o 22 kilometry kurortu musi odłożyć na inną okazję. Po półfinałowym zwycięstwie z Rosjaninem, Baker bez skutku szukał słów, które oddałyby to, co czuje. - Nie przewidziałbym tego. To coś specjalnego... - z trudem opowiadał na konferencji prasowej.

Serię piętnastu kolejnych wygranych zakończył w sobotnim finale turnieju w Nicei przegrywając z Nicolasem Almagro, wybitnym specjalistą od gry na mączce. Ukoronowaniem fantastycznego tygodnia będzie dla Bakera wgląd w poniedziałkowy ranking. Dzięki uzbieranym punktom znajdzie się w nim około 140. pozycji. - Współzawodnictwo to mój żywioł. Nienawidzę przegrywać - powiedział po finałowym meczu.

Plan na spędzenie kilkudziesięciu godzin przed meczem I rundy w Paryżu, gdzie przeciwnikiem będzie Xavier Malisse (ATP 80) jest taki: - Spróbuję się trochę przespać, następnie wejdę do wanny z lodem i się porozciągam. Powinno pomóc - zapowiada Baker.

Historia zatoczy więc koło. To właśnie Belg był ostatnim przeciwnikiem, z jakim w turnieju ATP zmierzył się Baker (US Open 2005). Wtedy wygrał tylko jednego seta. Dzięki swej wytrwałości, daje sobie jednak szanse na rewanż.

Mam już nawet tytuł biografii: "Żywot Briana". :D

http://www.sport.pl/tenis/1,106703,11806482,Roland_Garros___Drugie_zycie__Briana_Bakera.html

PostZamieszczono: 28 maja 2012, 22:52 
Administrator
Awatar użytkownika

Cytuj:
Historia zatoczy więc koło. To właśnie Belg był ostatnim przeciwnikiem, z jakim w turnieju ATP zmierzył się Baker (US Open 2005). Wtedy wygrał tylko jednego seta. Dzięki swej wytrwałości, daje sobie jednak szanse na rewanż.

A dziś trzy. :D

Brian Baker pokonał X-Mana 3-0 i pojutrze zagra o 3 rundę Roland Garros 2012. ;)

2015 (1) Rotterdam
2012 (1) Toronto M1000

MTT - finały (21)
2015 (1) Halle
2014 (1) Tokio
2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia
2008 (1) WTF

PostZamieszczono: 29 maja 2012, 16:19 
Awatar użytkownika

Cytuj:
In Stunning Tennis Comeback, Scars Show a Career Arc

Obrazek
Brian Baker’s remarkable run at the
Nice tournament ended with a 6-3, 6-2
loss to Nicolás Almagro on Saturday.

Spoiler:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/28/sport ... ref=tennis

PostZamieszczono: 29 maja 2012, 16:36 

Cytuj:
Baker Adds Another Victory to His Comeback Story

PARIS — Brian Baker’s improbable tennis comeback story continued Monday, with a straight-set victory in the first round of the French Open.

In a career interrupted for six years by injury, which included five major surgeries, the highlight prior to this month was Baker’s run to the boys’ singles final in 2003 here at Roland Garros. On Monday, against Xavier Malisse of Belgium, Baker won his first Grand Slam match since 2005, 6-3, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (5).

Malisse, it should be noted, was the last player to top Baker in Grand Slam competition — at the United States Open in 2005. No one could recall an accurate comparison.

“I never really had that point where I thought about throwing in the towel,” Baker said afterward. “But you have to be realistic.”

Of the players he coached at Belmont University in recent seasons, he added, “They’re finally feeling validated.”

While Baker continued his tennis tale, another American with a notable comeback in recent years, Mardy Fish, was not here. On Monday, USA Today reported that Fish had surgery last Wednesday to correct undisclosed heart condition.

When Patrick McEnroe, chief of the United States Tennis Association’s development program, looked at Baker’s draw, it seemed favorable. What McEnroe could not account for, what not even Baker could account for, was how Baker’s notoriously fickle body would react to the events of recent weeks.

After Baker received a wild card into the French Open, he went to Nice, France, for a recent tune-up. He started in qualifying there and won seven matches, before he lost in the final on Saturday, two days before his first-round match here. This was his ninth match in 10 days.

“We’ll see how he holds up,” McEnroe said early Monday morning. “Regardless, it’s an amazing story. Here’s a guy who less than a year ago had no ranking.”

McEnroe continued: “It should be a message to all those out there who complain when they don’t get a wild card, who complain when they don’t get help. This guy got nothing. He’s done it completely on his own. And a guy who was one of our best juniors. He just went out there and did it.”

Perhaps a dozen friends and family members traveled here to see if Baker could continue the comeback that garnered him international attention. His father, Steve Baker, said he watched the Nice matches on his computer, the live scoring mostly, as he refreshed the page every few seconds.

On Sunday, Steve Baker and his wife celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary with a quiet family dinner. On Monday, his son Brian gave them the perfect gift: a win at the French Open, a career magically resumed in the past month.

“I don’t know what’s next,” Steve Baker said. “But this is unbelievable.”

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... ref=tennis

PostZamieszczono: 29 maja 2012, 22:22 
Awatar użytkownika

Baker seizing his second chance

Spoiler:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/ ... 55968.html

Tour de France 1986, 1989, 1990.

PostZamieszczono: 29 maja 2012, 23:46 
Awatar użytkownika

Baker's Long Road Back Advertisement

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7976904

PostZamieszczono: 11 cze 2012, 17:35 
Awatar użytkownika

Najwyższy ranking w karierze: 123

2016: Queen's Club, Atlanta
2014: Pekin
2013: Montpellier, Atlanta
2012: Kuala Lumpur, Szanghaj, Bazylea

Finały (17):
2018: Dubaj, Umag
2017: Sofia, Barcelona, s-Hertogenbosch', Wimbledon
2016: Genewa, s-Hertogenbosch
2013: Barcelona, Madryt, Paryż - Bercy
2012: Dubaj, Estoril, Madryt, Rzym, Nicea
2011: Los Angeles

Gra podwójna:

Tytuły (4): Wimbledon’13, Australian Open’15, Roland Garros’15, Us Open'17
Finały (3): Us Open’15, Wimbledon’16, US Open'18

PostZamieszczono: 24 cze 2012, 18:16 
Awatar użytkownika

Brian Baker Biofile

Spoiler:

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/br ... r-biofile/

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 78 ]  Przejdź na stronę 1, 2, 3, 4  Następna

Strefa czasowa UTC+2godz.